La Soufrière, St. Vincent SCIENTIFIC UPDATE – 18/04/21 6:00AM
1. The swarm of long-period and hybrid earthquakes continues at La Soufrière. These earthquakes still occur at a near-constant rate.
2. Small volcano-tectonic earthquakes are still being recorded occasionally. No episodes of tremor have been recorded since April 16.
3. The volcano continues to erupt although there appears to be a pause in explosive activity at this time.
4. The volcano’s current pattern of seismic activity may indicate growth of a lava dome, but this has not yet been confirmed.
5. Explosions with accompanying ashfall, of similar or larger magnitude, could restart in the future impacting St. Vincent and neighbouring islands.
6. The volcano is at alert level Red.
7. Visit https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanic_ash/resources.htmlfor Global Ash Impact posters. These are the latest research-informed material for concise best practice information for critical infrastructure managers to effectively manage ash-producing volcanic eruptions.